Log me on automatically each visit
#Games #Movies #Music and so on

Orion's first Computer build...

Re: Orion's first Computer build...

Postby Orion » 05 Feb 2015, 23:55

excalibur wrote:
Saiaku wrote:When it comes to wifi, many factors decide the quality of the signal, including the router, how new it is, how many antennas it has, same for the wifi card, then there is the house itself.
How far away must the signal travel, across floors, through different rooms? And what are the walls made of?

In my parent's house, we tried wifi first because it's a large house and 2 floors, but the signal was so poor that we just had to lay the cable anyway.
Laid it well through key areas, as well as kept it hidden, it works great and you cant notice the wire.

Absolutely, wired should always be the preferred option, but it might not be the most feasible. I've got a similar problem here, older house, it has thicker walls, I have 2 routers (one set up as an access point) setup here, one in each end of the house just to get a decent signal everywhere in the house, but even still i have a wire run to my PC but it's pretty close to the router. But having cable run through the middle of the floor isn't really a good option either, and from short, reasonably unobstructed runs, wireless does fine generally. So really it's whether it's worth it to go through the trouble of running and properly hiding a cable or are you within an area where wireless will work just fine.

That's where I'm at, I have one of the actual boxes that you get from the DSL people. It works fine for me because my room is just off the Kitchen so the signal doesn't have far to go. The only reason I would need an actual card is because the Adapter I use now is pluged into the front USB 3.0 slot which it seems to really like it there but it can get in the way a little. Which if you're mindful of it, it's fine... Just need to do something different is all.
Orion
AFL Member: Jedi Faction

Nickname: Orion/Kagetora
Recruited: 28 May 2010
Master: Kaje
Skin: Orion's personal skin
Modder: Yes

Postby excalibur » 07 Feb 2015, 01:31

I see, given your situation I'd probably just get the adapter then, since you already know wireless works fine from where your PC is. Plus it's not like it costs all that much and makes things a bit easier for you and not having to worry about it being in the way like the USB one.
excalibur

Master: none
Modder: No

Postby ShaÐow » 07 Feb 2015, 21:39

I sort of agree with Excalibur. But I also see why it would be better to go with a cable. I think the overall average download/upload speeds won't be impacted that much, I think that instead how fast your internet will respond will be impacted. (This probably means higher ping) But this also depends on your router, internet connection and the adapter you choose.

Obviously if your internet is slower the impact will be greater. What I'm saying is that the loss in performance will probably be a percentage. For example you will definitely feel a drop from 10 mbps to 5 mbps. Frankly if my internet dropped from 100 mbps to 50 mbps I wouldn't even notice unless I'm actually watching how fast I download torrents. As you go faster and higher end there tends to be a lot of headroom and diminishing returns. This is true for all things.

On the other hand an adapter might not work so bad after all. It really depends on your internet I think. Also remember full wifi signal does not necessarily mean you have max speed available. It's a common misconception. If however you are seeing full signal and you are getting way lower speeds, say below 50%, then you probably have a bottleneck somewhere, either your adapter or router.
ShaÐow

Nickname: Shadow
Recruited: 16 Nov 2013
Skin: Blue Reborn
Modder: No

Postby Orion » 16 Mar 2015, 03:00

ShaÐow wrote:I sort of agree with Excalibur. But I also see why it would be better to go with a cable. I think the overall average download/upload speeds won't be impacted that much, I think that instead how fast your internet will respond will be impacted. (This probably means higher ping) But this also depends on your router, internet connection and the adapter you choose.

Obviously if your internet is slower the impact will be greater. What I'm saying is that the loss in performance will probably be a percentage. For example you will definitely feel a drop from 10 mbps to 5 mbps. Frankly if my internet dropped from 100 mbps to 50 mbps I wouldn't even notice unless I'm actually watching how fast I download torrents. As you go faster and higher end there tends to be a lot of headroom and diminishing returns. This is true for all things.

On the other hand an adapter might not work so bad after all. It really depends on your internet I think. Also remember full wifi signal does not necessarily mean you have max speed available. It's a common misconception. If however you are seeing full signal and you are getting way lower speeds, say below 50%, then you probably have a bottleneck somewhere, either your adapter or router.

Aye, that is true. I mainly wanted to get a new adapter because I was having a lot of issues with the old USB one I had. It kept going out on me and stuff plus out was in my way a lot. Like one time I picked my foot off to take off a sock to scratch my foot and kicked the dern thing for a field goal. :| Things are fine now, I ordered an internal one from Bestbuy and everything works fine and dandy.

Except for one thing that I suspect is going to be a windows problem... Here's the deal, every now and then I experience lock-ups where the Windows Explorer freezes up for a few minutes (mostly 1 or 2 minutes) and then goes back to working. Some times tho, it'll crash completely and I'll have to restart the computer. I've searched high and low and I've done everything I know to fix the issue and it still persists.

What I'm wondering is how could this be fixed or is it even able to be fixed and can it be fixed without a complete Windows reinstall?

Also, my next obvious update is going to have to be a 2nd intake fan, CPU Cooler and a fan controller me thinks.
Orion

Nickname: Orion/Kagetora
Recruited: 28 May 2010
Master: Kaje
Skin: Orion's personal skin
Modder: Yes
Previous

Return to Media & Hardware