Log me on automatically each visit
Mapping, modding, development, artwork etc

Cease of Activity

Cease of Activity

Postby Saiaku » 04 Jan 2016, 07:59

Dear members,

This post is long overdue, but nevertheless here it is.
Our activity as a group has for a quite a while been lacking in Jedi Academy, both on other servers and our own.
The pattern of things going down hill is something has has occured several times during the clan's lifespan, but each time we pulled ourselves together and did an effort to recruit and keep the server lively again.
It seems that we are not able to keep doing that anymore. There are still players in the game, but compared to before there are few.
The game itself is very old, and without someone to come in and do events and try to make something happen - nothing happens.

When we first started this game, maybe even this clan, most of us were teenagers, living at home with our parents with little knowledge of time and responsibility.
Now that we are all older and wiser, time is leaving us - for school, homework, lovelife, :lone: meetings and other games.
For myself, this has been apparent and I've felt it more and more.
Almost 2 years ago I moved to Tokyo, which changed my situation drastically. Instead of staying inside and playing games, I wanted, needed, to be outside and experiencing this place I've come to. Needless to say, the timezone also makes it very hard to play with my friends in Europe.
I've barely played L4D2 since I got here, as well.

My old computer back home is still full of AFL related files and ideas - my new one also has a lot of documents floating around. It's been fun to work with it as a way to stimulate my imagination.

During this clan's lifespan, which started in Jedi Outcast, many things have happened in the Star Wars world. We got new movies and the company was sold to Disney.
This ultimately means that we are now getting new Star Wars games, mostly by the hands of EA. There is a chance that a new Jedi Knight game could be created one day, again, however with the mindset of today's developers and technology, I think it is unlikely that we will get a JK game that follows the recipe that made this game so popular - namely giving the community the power to make what they want.
Many of today's games doesn't even have proper server browsers or the choice for players to run their own servers. The level of restrictions and control is high.
All we can do is hope, lol.

Anyway, back to the topic of AFL ..

During the years I've had many friends in here - some who have come and gone, some who had always stayed.
In the same sense, I've seen different types of members - some who were dedicated to help the clan, others who simply just wanted to play JKA and have fun - and then move on if the fun ended for them.
As a leader, I was always looking for the members that would stick around and help, because they would ensure the future of the clan.
Sadly, they are the lesser group. Most of the players we've housed just wanted to "play", which is understandable, but it makes some things difficult.
In a game of this day and age, the fun we get is the fun we create ourselves, and you can't create much fun when you're alone.
Also, as a leader there have been many promises and talks of bigger things that never took place. The reason was that I was either too burned out or just didn't have time to follow up on my word. Some of the things I have been doing for AFL became a hobby of mine, and I have learned a great deal from a technical point of view regarding how games are made, by working on maps, shaders and so on, even before I went to university.
We've been through the hardest of hardships, experiencing times with only a handful of active members left to revive the clan - to the dark times where the JKA community was invaded by DDoS attacks. I just remember that we had to move servers many, many times, but in the end no host could block the amount of traffic that were used in the attacks. Luckily the attacks ended and we could continue gaming.

On the flipside, amazing things have happened in AFL as well, things that probably most members do not know about.
In our clan, members have found love, met and moved in together - to start a family.
They have become great friends, whom even travelled to see each other.
And I am happy for all the good things that have happened as a consequence of this clan. Personally, I have never met anyone from the clan, however I have made great friends that I've now known for years.

It is sad, but from this new year that we've entered, the Allied Force Lords will cease its clan activity and the server has been taken offline.
However, there are many fond memories and friends still in this place, so what will happen is that AFL's website and forum will still remain as a community for us to meet up in. There are still other games we could play in as a group, if the desire is there.

The clan-activity related forums of this site will be archived, not deleted, and we will only keep the pure game/talk related forums.
Eventually I want to put on a more updated forum layout to get with the times. It's already 2016 jeez.

Personally, I think my most fondest memories date back 3-4 years to when I held my first, but also proper winter event, as well as having many members around. Masters and students training together on different parts of the map. Badge events were also frequent, with the invention and testing of new events.

If anyone wants to get a hold of me, I am always on Steam, however my response might be slow due to the timezone.

This is the last post as the AFL Clan Master,
from now on our titles as Councilor, Jedi Master, Sith Lord, Padawan and Apprentice all fades into a memory.
Now, I am just Saiaku
and the AFL that used to be is just a place inside our heads.

May the Force be with us all.
Saiaku

Nickname: Saiaku
Recruited: 0- 2-2004
Master: none
Skin: Geth
Modder: Yes

Re: Cease of Activity

Postby Orion » 04 Jan 2016, 15:42

Aye, they could always make something similar to Jedi Academy tho I doubt it since most Star Wars games will be from EA and they have yet to demonstrate a willingness to support the level of modability that Jedi Academy had. As Sai said, the level of control is just too high. :( Still, it could happen. If it doesn't, then at least we will always have those fond memories. :)

I for one do. :) I am glad to have met so many new people that I now call friend and I will remember fondly all those wild times we had together. :D
Orion
AFL Member: Jedi Faction

Nickname: Orion/Kagetora
Recruited: 28 May 2010
Master: Kaje
Skin: Orion's personal skin

Postby Son of Sorrow » 04 Jan 2016, 17:25

I find this both disappointing, but also very understandable.

:okay:

Over 6 Years of service
Son of Sorrow

Nickname: Sorrow, Stealth Evolved
Recruited: 30 Jun 2009
Master: Massa Drax
Skin: Mutha F'in Tie Pilot

Postby Dodinho » 04 Jan 2016, 17:56

when was that pic taken, looks cool :megusta:
Dodinho

Nickname: Dodinho
Recruited: 24 Jun 2010
Modder: No

Postby Saiaku » 04 Jan 2016, 18:27

I am not 100% sure, it was sent to me by Drax.
It might have been from the time we tested that map for the first time, maybeee
Saiaku

Postby Dodinho » 04 Jan 2016, 19:31

ccccoooooooooooooool :megusta:
Dodinho

Nickname: Dodinho
Recruited: 24 Jun 2010

Postby Toke » 05 Jan 2016, 06:07

Makes sense. Though I'm one of the newer members (or, was....) these were some of the funnest times I had online. Can't imagine what it was like back in JO or when JA was released. Hope everyone is doing well and we can continue chatting on the site.
Toke

Recruited: 27 Feb 2013
Master: None
Skin: Stormtrooper

Postby Saiaku » 05 Jan 2016, 09:23

I actually have a ton of screenshots to showcase our history, but it's back in my home country, along with other files that could be used to puzzle together our whole history.
Even though I had been CM for many years, I was not the first one, there were at least 2 before me? Maybe 3. Master Dead, Reign and Yoset.
The clan was founded in JKO. I joined when JKA was new, as a recruit, as a jedi, and saw the changes that took place. The rogue faction was created while I was still a beginner.
I don't know all of our history, but it could be pieced together with files and pictures from here and there.
:dolan:
Saiaku

Postby Drax » 06 Jan 2016, 06:44

Photo is from when we unified our Council System in 2012(?). Also to everyone that played among us, whether you administrated the server, helped run the clan, played competitively or just played for the sake of playing, I thank you. Online games(and games in general) are changing, so the fact that this type of game community thrived for as long and as well as it has, is a testament to the players. Every last one.
-=AFL Drax=-
Drax
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

Recruited: 21 Oct 2009
Skin: Tommy Wiseau(Blue)

Postby Orion » 06 Jan 2016, 16:12

Drax wrote:Photo is from when we unified our Council System in 2012(?). Also to everyone that played among us, whether you administrated the server, helped run the clan, played competitively or just played for the sake of playing, I thank you. Online games(and games in general) are changing, so the fact that this type of game community thrived for as long and as well as it has, is a testament to the players. Every last one.

Yep, it certainly is... Even now when the more popular games are ones that use formulas similar to CoD and Battlefield. :| FPS games have really soared in popularity lately.

Which is sad because games like Jedi Academy are just as good as those games if not better. I for one am still hoping someone does an HD remake of the Jedi Knight games and polishes them a bit more than they were but give Jedi Academy a little bit better story, okay? or give the game an expansion pack that adds to the Sith storyline. The other 2 games were fine.
Orion

Nickname: Orion/Kagetora
Recruited: 28 May 2010
Master: Kaje
Skin: Orion's personal skin

Postby Bullrock » 08 Jan 2016, 09:57

Couldn't agree more Sai. I've been a member for a while now, but not as nearly as long as I wanted to, knowing what it was like back in the day and how it was when I joined it. The people I've met here were some of the finest people I've ever met and I'm glad I got to meet some of them in real life and I hope I will meet more, cos I think that if our group was closer together, we would be friends for life :P. I will try and meet as much of you as I can.

Gaming for me has slowly been put in the back, reality kicks in and you realize you're not so free anymore to do what you will and that you only get a couple of hours of free time that, to be honest, you spend on other stuff. You must provide for yourself, slowly you are finishing college/uni, what will you do after that? A job, yes..do you know what it's like being on a job? So many new things to do, obligations and work. I changed a few jobs here and there, but ultimately I am moving to a new country and I assume you can imagine what a transition that is and what it takes to make such a change in life. I probably wont be gaming seriously anytime soon unfortunately, my priorities have chan....I got priorities now.

I've changed very much mentally, and when I look back, all that gaming, all those hours put in, I'm glad I had AFL, it's been like second family to me, and like I said, I've met some people who could very much be like my family.

Things combined and it finally happened, server shut down, but it was a really really good run tho, there are still active clans in JKA, but the people are the same as they were several years back, not so many new people begin to play this game, which is understandable. I just hope that we can all get together sometime and eventually play a game or two together and make the clan light up again.

So I thank you all, who have helped me and who have made my stay here so pleasant, I hope I meet you some day, if not, we can always chat or play a game or two, or three :P.

AFL will never die.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)BULLImageGURLლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Bullrock

Postby Spacker » 08 Jan 2016, 20:48

Had a blast a time. Just want to thank everyone for being part of a really close community.
It's a shame that the game has lost people.

Like buwy said as we grow up we start to have priorities and sadly working is one of those. Oh and don't worry about the moving transition if you are supposed to be there then there will be no problems at all. When I came to New Zealand it was like I belonged here. :megusta:

I would very much like to meet some of you guys when I'm done in New Zealand.
Spacker
Sith Overlord
Sith Overlord

Nickname: Spacker/Le Dragon/ Spanker
Recruited: 06 Jun 2006

Postby Rev » 09 Jan 2016, 18:07

I thank you for the great and hilarious times.(Master tests(council meeting))
Do we get the legend rank now? :sneakytroll:
-=AFL=-Rev[¦SP¦]

Rev
Sith Premier
Sith Premier

Nickname: Rev.
Recruited: 31 Dec 2008
Skin: Own skin

Postby Son of Sorrow » 21 Jan 2016, 15:27

Can we pretend I got JM.... :P