Log me on automatically each visit
Mapping, modding, development, artwork etc

Kumo Districts

Kumo Districts

Postby Saiaku » 29 Aug 2014, 10:23

Kumo Districts

I don't know if anyone remembers testing/plating on "CHBeta" ?

Well this is what happened to that map.
A lot of changes have taken place.
- FPS improvements everywhere, especially in the meeting room where we previously had like 20-30 fps?
On my laptop I had around 90 now (no use testing on my new pc, will be too high to compare i guess)
- Larger landing pad, more controls (turn spawner on off etc)
- New areas inside the Council Haven mountain part:
Bar and master's room
- Skybox enlarged, almost filling up what is allowed to make in the editor.
- "Real" clouds and improved skybox in general, fly through clouds, fly to different areas.
- The map I worked on called "Grand Stadium" is being merged into this skybox inside another mountain.
- Night and day skybox experiment, maybe I can get it to work.. maybe.
- Misc other areas you can fly to, also hidden stuff, secrets.

Here's what my night and day testing is at:

Lately just working on the grand stadium part, the hangar, hangar elevators, parking spaces etc.
The grand stadium part will have a proper testing arena, correct size and good fps, another bar (Orion made one long ago, maybe he wants to update it? idk), meeting room, what else to add?
Saiaku

Nickname: Saiaku
Recruited: 0- 2-2004
Master: none
Skin: Geth
Modder: Yes

Re: Kumo Districts

Postby Elessar » 29 Aug 2014, 10:59

What else to add ? other than MY OWN PERSONAL LIVING SPACE lmao, all jokes.

I'm really impressed with the night visual, I'm simply fascinated by night xD
--I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor--
Elessar
AFL Member: Jedi Faction

Nickname: Elessar
Recruited: 27 Jan 2013
Modder: No

Postby Saiaku » 29 Aug 2014, 12:26

Thx for the feedback.
The sky is kinda tricky, since the engine is not made for this, so you just have to find out how to do it.

The way I do it is that I have a portal sky.
Basically, the sky you see in the map is from another, separate skybox where I can put more stuff into so that they too, will act as a part of the sky, like clouds.

In that skybox, I have a smaller box with the night sky, and the shader it uses fades slowly in and out to transparent, making it look like the sky changes.
The trick is that clouds and the world isn't affected by the change to from light to dark, so the light intensity of the world doesnt change with the sky.

Maybe I'll add a crew quarters, idk. There's a lot of space inside that mountain lol.
Saiaku

Postby Son of Sorrow » 29 Aug 2014, 13:26

Something that I think would be VERY beneficial that we don't have on maps normally would be a 1 on 1 training area. There are many times when someone wants to learn something from their master, I think it would be cool if there was a place players could go where they can be alone and spend a little bit of time working on their skills. Just master and student.

Over 6 Years of service
Son of Sorrow

Nickname: Sorrow, Stealth Evolved
Recruited: 30 Jun 2009
Master: Massa Drax
Skin: Mutha F'in Tie Pilot

Postby Saiaku » 29 Aug 2014, 14:19

Are you thinking about areas like in The Academy v3 map? the blue, yellow, red rooms? That kind of set up?
Saiaku

Postby Saiaku » 29 Aug 2014, 16:51

Just gonna add something I forgot.

The map will feature a race track for badges, fun, events?
Not finished, but will look like this kinda:

And here's the meeting room's improvements.
Each seat has a letter+number, from A1 to E4, and each seat can signal that they want to interact, and a moving beam will go between the seat and the speaker's area, so that it can easily be seen where it came from.

The map has a "real" clock that goes. Each minute is 2 seconds, to make it enjoyable, lol. Too long and it won't be any good.
Because at certain hours during the map's day, access to some areas will be limited.

The bar is open from evening to next morning

Saiaku

Postby Spacker » 29 Aug 2014, 17:03

Do you get stuck inside when it closes? :o
Spacker
Sith Overlord
Sith Overlord

Nickname: Spacker/Le Dragon/ Spanker
Recruited: 06 Jun 2006
Modder: No

Postby Saiaku » 29 Aug 2014, 17:19

I'm wondering what to do about that.. I could for example force teleport people out, but I don't think I'll do that.
You can open the doors from the inside even if it is closed. I thought I would do it that way in case people want to hang out there for a longer period of time.

Edit: Testing out some new clouds.

The only problem I have with the clouds is that they fade in and out too fast.
shaders >_>
Saiaku

Postby Orion » 29 Aug 2014, 19:39

SAIAKU48 wrote:Thx for the feedback.
The sky is kinda tricky, since the engine is not made for this, so you just have to find out how to do it.

The way I do it is that I have a portal sky.
Basically, the sky you see in the map is from another, separate skybox where I can put more stuff into so that they too, will act as a part of the sky, like clouds.

In that skybox, I have a smaller box with the night sky, and the shader it uses fades slowly in and out to transparent, making it look like the sky changes.
The trick is that clouds and the world isn't affected by the change to from light to dark, so the light intensity of the world doesnt change with the sky.

Maybe I'll add a crew quarters, idk. There's a lot of space inside that mountain lol.

Aye, this is a 10 year old game on an even older engine we're talking about here so of course there will be limitations to what can and can't be down. Also, I'm glad to have performance improvements as I think the 20-30 FPS is pretty spot on for what most of us had in that map, it seemed like it was especially lagy in the elevator part.

As for updating the bar, sure but I've lost the file so I've no idea the um... hieght that the room needed to be. :okay: I could do a v2 if you can tell me the size of the room again like H x W x D (Height x Width x Depth)
Orion

Nickname: Orion/Kagetora
Recruited: 28 May 2010
Master: Kaje
Skin: Orion's personal skin

Postby Saiaku » 30 Aug 2014, 11:24

Sure I can give u the dims once I have the interior set up, maybe it can be different this time because there is more space.

So today, all of today, I have been working on the sky for the map.
Basically creating and tweaking shaders for the clouds, and now I have made a moving moon and sun which will be present according to day and night-time based on the clock.
And that's a bit of a pain, because I have to calibrate the shader moving speed to the clock's ticking speed, >_>
And later I will do the same to the night sky shader.
And thennn when they all are in sync, I'll slow them down to a more realistic speed. Right now the clock moves with 1 hour per second, so that I don't need to wait 10 minutes every time to check how the sky acts.

:dolan:

lyfe of chartographing is hard lyfe
Saiaku

Postby Saiaku » 30 Aug 2014, 13:56

Seems like I have been able to make it work, somehow!

The only things remaining that I would like to do is to add some effect for the dusk and dawn. In real life we can see that parts of the sky turns blue, red, orange depending on the sun's position. I'd like to try add that.
Another thing is that I'd like to fade the moon from full to crescent at certain intervals, to make it seem a bit real.
And for the sun I want to add the lens flare stuff I used in the previous CHBeta.

Here's a video !!!
Shader speed is increased for the purpose of this vid also.

Link

The reason the bottom part of the map is all white/cloudish is because this is for the Kumo Districts map, which is up in the clouds. (kumo means cloud)
Saiaku

Postby Saiaku » 30 Aug 2014, 18:32

A problem that might be present in the final map is that the clock doesn't actually correspond with what the sky looks like.
Because the clock is set to use X milliseconds on each tick, for example 1000, 1 second, it doesn't actually spend 1 second. It can spend more.
How much more depends on how much general work the server has, so it is unpredictable and basically impossible to sync.
It is possible to have it somewhat synced for the first "days" the clock ticks, but eventually it is going to get more and more out of place.
Saiaku

Postby Orion » 30 Aug 2014, 20:41

SAIAKU48 wrote:A problem that might be present in the final map is that the clock doesn't actually correspond with what the sky looks like.
Because the clock is set to use X milliseconds on each tick, for example 1000, 1 second, it doesn't actually spend 1 second. It can spend more.
How much more depends on how much general work the server has, so it is unpredictable and basically impossible to sync.
It is possible to have it somewhat synced for the first "days" the clock ticks, but eventually it is going to get more and more out of place.

Bah! Who needs sync anyhow?!?! :sneakytroll: I'd say we let it tick as it pleases and enjoy the random side effects from it. :P

As for the bar's dims, sure I would be happy to have more space to decorate and mess around with. :) Maybe I can try my bartender idea out again and see how well it works. For the skybox in general, I felt blown away by it as I had no idea that a 10 year old game engine could be made to do such wizardry. :troll:
Orion

Postby Orion » 30 Aug 2014, 21:37

Also, anyway we could have fire-themed district or area? I think it would be like Hi (pronounced Hee) or Ka perhaps? Maybe the new bar could be called the HiKa lounge and have a fire theme to it? :sneakytroll:
Orion

Postby Saiaku » 31 Aug 2014, 04:40

A fire-themed lounge, it sounds interesting, but how?
Like fire up/down the walls on the side, and that kind of stuff?

Edit: I've improved the sky.
At sunset, the sky turns yellow/orange-ish, and at sunrise/moon-fall(?) the sky turns bright blue. It kinda makes a big difference in how it looks,lol!

Got a video showing the improved part.

A whole day takes about 24 minutes (night and day).
The map starts when the clock is 20:00, I believe.
I originally wanted it to be 10:00, but timing all the shaders to start at that point in time turned out to be problematic, so 20:00 is a more natural starting point for the shaders.
What this means is that when the map loads, the moon is coming up and the bar is already open.

Also have some stills of the transition.
Late sunset, moon is coming up

aaand going down again

sun up

there are a lot of clouds. I've been trying to make them fade away more so that there are times when the sky is cloud-free, and other times it is full.
In the video, I'm switching between real time x1, x10 and x30 speeds.

Link
Saiaku

Next

Return to Crafting