Log me on automatically each visit
Mapping, modding, coding, photoshop, game related and so on

Need some lighting help

Need some lighting help

Postby Orion » 03 Dec 2014, 23:51

So... When I reinstalled my game a while back, I lost all my maps including that example Sai made showing off the skybox thingy.. and sadly, I don't remember all the light commands that adds light to your map without making a custom skybox. :|

So if someone could post all those commands for me, I'd appreciate it, thanks. :)
Orion
AFL Member: Jedi Faction

Nickname: Orion/Kagetora
Recruited: 28 May 2010
Master: Kaje
Skin: Orion's personal skin
Modder: Yes

Re: Need some lighting help

Postby Saiaku » 04 Dec 2014, 01:48

Which version of radiant are you on?
In 1.4 (probs 1.5, too) they have preset compile options with lighting (not the best ones, tho)

There are two ways to compile a map

Method 1:
This is from my 1.6.4 version on my laptop using 1.4's options (I think my desktop has better options, as I use it mainly)

How to add compile option:
File -> Project Settings -> Add.. (or 'Change' one of the existing ones)

Menu text:
bsp_Q3Map2: (final) BSP -meta, -vis, -light -fast -filter -super 2 -bounce 8
Command:
! "D:/Programmer/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" -v # -game ja -fs_basepath "D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/" -meta $ && ! "D:/Programmer/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" # -game ja -fs_basepath "D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/" -vis -saveprt $ && ! "D:/Programmer/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" -v # -game ja -fs_basepath "D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/" -light -fast -super 2 -filter -bounce 8 $

My path to JKA is D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/, you need to change this into your filepath

Same for path to q3map2, change this: D:/Programmer/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2
to the folder where q3map2.exe is found

Map without lighting:

With lighting:

Method 2:

An alternative is to not compile the map through radiant, but use the q3map2 GUI program someone made, which makes it easy to compile outside of radiant. I use it a lot recently, since it is easier to change the compile commands, test, compile, and find optimal parameters. There's a lot of commands you can add to the compilation that affects the map.
http://jkhub.org/files/file/1039-q3map2 ... interface/

dang this topic made me want to work on maps again. I haven't touched them in a while due to school assignments.
Saiaku

Nickname: Saiaku
Recruited: 0- 2-2004
Master: none
Skin: Geth

Postby Orion » 04 Dec 2014, 19:49

Saiaku wrote:Which version of radiant are you on?
In 1.4 (probs 1.5, too) they have preset compile options with lighting (not the best ones, tho)

There are two ways to compile a map

Method 1:
This is from my 1.6.4 version on my laptop using 1.4's options (I think my desktop has better options, as I use it mainly)

How to add compile option:
File -> Project Settings -> Add.. (or 'Change' one of the existing ones)

Menu text:
bsp_Q3Map2: (final) BSP -meta, -vis, -light -fast -filter -super 2 -bounce 8
Command:
! "D:/Programmer/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" -v # -game ja -fs_basepath "D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/" -meta $ && ! "D:/Programmer/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" # -game ja -fs_basepath "D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/" -vis -saveprt $ && ! "D:/Programmer/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" -v # -game ja -fs_basepath "D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/" -light -fast -super 2 -filter -bounce 8 $

My path to JKA is D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/, you need to change this into your filepath

Same for path to q3map2, change this: D:/Programmer/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2
to the folder where q3map2.exe is found

Map without lighting:

With lighting:

Method 2:

An alternative is to not compile the map through radiant, but use the q3map2 GUI program someone made, which makes it easy to compile outside of radiant. I use it a lot recently, since it is easier to change the compile commands, test, compile, and find optimal parameters. There's a lot of commands you can add to the compilation that affects the map.
http://jkhub.org/files/file/1039-q3map2 ... interface/

dang this topic made me want to work on maps again. I haven't touched them in a while due to school assignments.

I'll give that a try but I meant the commands that you put into the world spawn thing and the other entities that you use. Those are the ones I forgot about :| Tho I can probably google them and I'll give that BSP option a try.

Also, I use Radiant 1.4 with the 1.6 mod installed.
Orion

Postby Saiaku » 05 Dec 2014, 04:13

doh, those commands.

These are used: (I usually give them all the same value, 100 if it's a day-time map, maybe 50 if it's a darker map theme)
_minVertexLight 100
_minGridLight 100
_minLight 100

ambient 50
Saiaku

Nickname: Saiaku
Recruited: 0- 2-2004
Master: none
Skin: Geth

Postby Orion » 05 Dec 2014, 17:59

Saiaku wrote:doh, those commands.

These are used: (I usually give them all the same value, 100 if it's a day-time map, maybe 50 if it's a darker map theme)
_minVertexLight 100
_minGridLight 100
_minLight 100

ambient 50

Aye, thanks mate. :) Oh yea, I saw that picture you sent me, it looks awesome. :D
Orion

Return to Tutorials & Requests